Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to program Zilog z8 without special hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmoraes

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Zilog z8 uC

Hi,

Is it possible to program Zilog z8 without special hardware? I am thinking of buying some uC to experiment, but I don't want to buy any kits.

I wanted to have a PIC-like experience, with simple programming via serial cable.

Is this possible? I didn't have much luck doing searches on Google.

Francisco

Zilog z8 uC

To finding it on data sheet.

Re: Zilog z8 uC

fmoraes said:
Hi,

Is it possible to program Zilog z8 without special hardware? I am thinking of buying some uC to experiment, but I don't want to buy any kits.

I wanted to have a PIC-like experience, with simple programming via serial cable.

Is this possible? I didn't have much luck doing searches on Google.

Francisco

yes its possible for zilog encore MCU. You can program/debug via single pin (DBG pin), ICSP. Just add a MAX232 circuitry. Refer to the datasheet for the correct circuit

Zilog z8 uC

i used MAX3222 (operates on 3.3V) and 1N4148 on Zilog Encore MCUs, works fine, very cheap programmer/debugger

penoy_balut said:
i used MAX3222 (operates on 3.3V) and 1N4148 on Zilog Encore MCUs, works fine, very cheap programmer/debugger

hi penoy_balut.

i am using Zilog Encore microcontroller as well, but unfortunately the smart cable i have, had gone faulty.
can you clarify how can i use the MAX3222 and the diode to debug the microcontroller?
i tried to browse through the documentations in Zilog website, but failed to find any.

edit: i had successfully make it. thanks for the hint of the components needed =)

**broken link removed**

this one works on chips with OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back