Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to play an audio file with a GSM modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cartess

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
playing audio in gsm using at command

Hi All,

I am doing a GSM project for my third year, and I am clueless where to begin. Please advice me. The requirements are:

A microcontroller (8051) receives a signal from a door sensor. Whenever the signal is received (i.e. door opened), the microcontroller must send a command to the GSM modem, and the GSM modem must initiate a call to some pre-defined number. When the called party answers the call, the GSM modem must play-back a voice that says something like "Door opened". So there must be an audio file stored somewhere and played-back whenever a call is answered.

So my main problem is, how do I use a GSM modem or microcontroller to play-back an audio file? Where do I store this file and retrieve it? Your advice will be highly appreciated.

Hi,

If you are using any embedded development board which can is having suitable interface to connect a GSM MODEM and have Audio CODEC, flash memory connected to the MCU then I think the following procedure can help.

1. store the audio file in on-board flash or external MMC
2. Whenever sensor sends a signal then initiate the GSM call to the predefined number using a software program having AT command to make a call. By using AT commands you can control the GSM modem like make calls and get the status of the calls. Read about the AT commands.
3. get the status of the initiated call using the AT commands and then if it get connected then play the stored audio file using installed multilmedia framework like gstreamer.

Hope this gives some inputs..

Status
Not open for further replies.