Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to model a photodiode PIN InGasAS, in accotd with datasheet, in simulator SPICE MicroCAP12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weees

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to know if it is possible to model a photodiode InGasAs panchromatic PIN , in accord with datasheet, in simulator SPICE MicroCAP 12.Because the supllier where I boughit it has not a SPICE model.And if it is possible, which are those steps. Here it is data-sheet https://www.tme.eu/en/details/ig17x1000s4i/photodiodes/laser-components/ And below I will attach a electric schematic, a transimpedance amplifier with phototdiode, used like receiver of smoke.I want to monitor graphically the impulse of photodiode in function of output of transimpedance for sensibilty. There is type of photodiode,which I found it in library Micro-CAP 12, it is simpe photodiode,which does not follow in accord in datasheet.There is photodiode macro.

Thank you.

Attachments

• PHOTO_1.PNG
    PHOTO_1.PNG
    25.6 KB · Views: 184
  • PHOTO_2.PNG
    PHOTO_2.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 177

You cannot model this diode by yourself.You should request a valid model for that..

There's datasheets and there's datasheets, some contain
info that could help you fit a model (presuming some
ability) but some are only a few "top line" electrical test
parameters in a table.

You'd need either provided data for DC I-V, and some
C-V curves, or to measure your own.

You may find that one mfr of such a part gives you the
data (or even models, on their support pages) while
another of same or similar type provides only electrical
performance limits & typicals. It's worth a bit of searching
if you find a likely part with poor support, to see if the
competitors offer more design collateral.

You cannot model this diode by yourself.You should request a valid model for that..
Thank you for this feedback.But with the help with this program, or LTspice.Can I model this photodiode?

Do you mean to simulate the electrical behavior,
using somebody else's model provided, or do you
mean to fit a SPICE model yourself?

Two very different paths in the wood.

Modeling is not easy task as thought.
Experts with appropriate simulation and measurement equipments can handle this.
Simulators use the model it self only..

I know.It is a little hard, but can I modelling, with the help of this program?

I know.It is a little hard, but can I modelling, with the help of this program?
Absolutely no.. You need strong knowledge,experience,appropriate simulators and measurement equipments.

I found this documentation, here it indicates the circuit equivalent.Is it possible to manipulate the electrical behaviour of the original photodiode at a level satisfying? :)
Thank you,
Dragos.
No, you don't know the intrinsic parameters.You may use it anyhow but the results will be erroneous.
Why don't you request exact SPICE model from the manufacturer.They will definitely help you..
They may also have Design Kit for SPICE like simulators.. it's worthy.

Thank you for this feedback.I thought, also, about this aspect, but, unfortunately, the supllier where I boughit it, it has not a SPICE model.From him, I boughit it https://www.lasercomponents.com/de-en/ .
Take heart. The data from manufacturers, if corresponding to the parameters you put in your circuit equivalent, can be used. I have taken basic equivalent circuits for various transistor structures, and even added in circuit artifacts of my own caused by various external builds (stray capacitance, etc), and simulated using LTSpiceVII, and the results corresponded in real measurements.

You only need the need the reverse bias capacitance plot, the dark current, the equivalent shunt resistance, and some knowledge of the sensitivity to wavelengths. Arriving photons energy (KeV) can be modeled as current source. The known noise current, from data sheet, can also be input. The rise time from carrier absorption may be needed if you are counting fast pulses. The manufacturer's SPICE model is unlikely to be much more elaborate than the one you have, except possibly in minor detail.

Replacing an elaborate SPICE equivalent circuit of sub-circuits with a block mathematical equivalent, often equation-based model is done all the time. It is a huge factor is getting usable simulation speeds.

Don't lose sight of "what's good enough" in the
thicket of detail accuracy.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of simple current
sources to model photocurrent, when these are
an "abnormal condition" to be tested and designed
against. But I also recognize that in other technologies
some assumptions are not as valid, as where I was
working at the time.

If this diode is to be a critical element of the signal
chain and you have multiple dimensions of care-
abouts which involve the photoresponse, then you
will be responsible for due care and eventual
accuracy. Can you do it? Sure, with enough study
and time and presuming adequate comprehension.
But I recommend you budget that time according
to what matters most (and take the advice to find
vendor models, anybody's models, to use as a
start or a substitute or as a component selection
factor (this last, to beat vendors' applications support
people upside, to induce cooperation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back