Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

is it possible to make XVCO from LC VCO ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_IC

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
butler vco

Hi!

Is it possible to make a XVCO from LC VCO like in fig.1? To get XVCO I'm going to replace the L by crystal.

Thank you!

48_1251119855.gif

Re: XVCO from LC VCO

Maybe you want to say VCXO.
XVCO doesn’t exist yet in electronics terminology.
Just replacing an L with a crystal is not enough to get a good Variable Crystal Oscillator.
Now depends by the frequency of the crystal, by the crystal cut, and not to the last by the oscillator type. From what I know, with Butler VCXO oscillator you get the most ppm variation of the frequency.

Thanks for reply,

Let say I need +/-100 ppm variation of the frequency and the freq=400 MHz. Can I use the above circuit just replacing L by crystal ? Does temp stability degrade in this circuit dramaticcaly?

Hard to tell you just from a basic oscillator schematic.
If you have all the transistor models run a simulation, replace the L with a crystal and see what variation in ppm you get.
Generally parallel tank configurations get lower ppm variation than series tank X-tal oscillator.

XVCO from LC VCO

How can a crystal which is designed, for example, mechanicle vibration at 25MHz would resonate at 400MHz?

Are you saying the crystal is at 400MHz?

To riziahm

It could be a SAW resonator. The operation is the same.

Alex_IC said:
To riziahm

It could be a SAW resonator. The operation is the same.

No it is not exactly the same, and note that the L-C can handle much power but the crystal can handle only very low powers. SOme radio amateurs use more than one identical crystals in parallel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back