Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to implement an complete ethernet controller inside the FPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krunal_299

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am less familiar with FPGA domain so I have very primary type query.

Is it possible to implement an complete ethernet controller or USB device controller inside the FPGA? I mean on-chip FPGA resource can replace the external enternet or USB conteller chips on board.

If yes then how? just outline.

Regards.

Re: FPGA reaourse basics

yes of course you can do it , you ve to know all the configuration of that particular replacement chip and this is not good idea to .
first try to understand y people would like to go to fpga rather than micro controllers and processors

Re: FPGA reaourse basics

it is possible where possible. Ethernet has a fairly wide range of PHY's. so things like 1000BaseLX, an optical standard, would still require an external PHY. Really, 1000BaseT would need an external PHY as well due to the multi-level signalling requirements. 1000BaseX can be done, but that is more for interchip communications.

the same even for RS232, where signaling levels are over 12V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back