Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to have more than one localhost running together on the same computer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andre_luis

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I have a Window based thirdy party supervisor system which connects to several devices via Ethernet, each device having their specific IP : Port address ( configured on a config text file ). Concerning the supervisor, we don't have neither technical support nor the source code, so it's like a 'black box'.

Everything works fine, the physical presence of devices is detected by PING and their contents is read by TCP, so far so good.
But, found a cheap solution on which each device now communicate via serial protocol on RS-232;

I was able to implement a software gateway in Java Maven to convert incomming Serial values from each Serial device into values toward the supervisor, each one via distinct TCP port.

However, I'm having trouble to emulate the PING, since instead of each device having their own IP, all them are on the same localhost ( 127.0.0.1 ), therefore I should configure on the config text file all their IP with the same value.

I was considering using the Windows shell command route or netsh, but both seems not fitting the need for specific reasons.

Does someone have some insight on how to programmaticaly emulate the PING command ?

Just updating with a new possble approach: Reviewing some threads here on Edaboard I came accross this one, mentioning the RAS TCP/IP via serial port functionality, which seems promising at first sight, however seems like the driver should run on both sides, so perhaps I would return to the original issue, namely, to have more than one server running on different localhosts (IP's) on the same OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back