Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible to build a MP3 player using PIC16C745 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

picotube

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pic16c745 programmed

Is it possible to build a MP3 player using PIC16C745 from Microchip?

Re: MP3 + PIC16C745

I would say why not?

Do you think you PIC can handle 30kbytes/second data transfer from a memory such as CF and serialize it? Then the answer is yes.

You can get some ideas about the periferals at:
**broken link removed**

/Farhad

MP3 + PIC16C745

Do you think I need extra memory if I interface the PIC16C745 based MP3 player to handy drive, which stores MP3 files? In other words, is it possible to retrieve the MP3 file from handy drive (e.g. Apacer 128MB) via USB and play immediately ?

picotube said:
Do you think I need extra memory if I interface the PIC16C745 based MP3 player to handy drive, which stores MP3 files? In other words, is it possible to retrieve the MP3 file from handy drive (e.g. Apacer 128MB) via USB and play immediately ?

I am afraid it is very difficult to build an USB host using your PIC and you need an USB host to retrieve info from an USB memory stick. Normally a USB host is running on the PC which has lots of resources (memory, speed ...).

Look for all the MP3 player projects that you can find on the net, many of them use AVR controllers like here:

best regards

MP3 + PIC16C745

I select PIC16C745 because, if I'm not mistaken, it has built-in USB port.

picotube said:
I select PIC16C745 because, if I'm not mistaken, it has built-in USB port.

Yes I know but that does not help you in this case.

Simple microcontrollers are normally used as USB clients only, a USB host has to control everything and also has to implement some protocols which is a very complicated task.

best regards

MP3 + PIC16C745

Let say I use TWO PIC16C745. One acts as a HOST, the 2nd one acts as MP3 processing unit, do you think this configuration possible?

Sorry I do not know if this can be done :-(

But read for example here:

best regards

MP3 + PIC16C745

C-Man, thanks for the links.
I think I need to revise what are USB host, USB hub controller, and USB peripherals. Also need to find what are the requirements to be a USB host and whether PIC16C745 can be programmed to be a host or not.
Anyway, if anyone has idea, pls comment.

You will find everything you need to know about USB by reading this book:

Also you only need to be a host if you want to communicate with other USB peripherals like your USB memory stick. You do not need this complicated stuff if you want to act your processor as a USB peripheral. That's the reason why I recommended the other links to you as these devices use CF or other meory cards and avoid USB.

best regards

It is very much possible to make a mp3 player with a microcontroller
all u need is a memory to store your mp3's a microcontroller to control the whole operation, a mp3 decoder to decode the mp3 data and an analog to digital converter to convert your digital decoded data into analog data
Regards
-Vishal

I complete agree with C-Man on this one.

There is a huge difference between desigining a slave USB device and a master. if you want to access the USB memory units, then you need to implement the device driver that exists on Windows or Linux in a microcontroller. Which is not an easy task.

But using a memory device such as CF or MMC, you can do what ever you want to do with it, as long as you u-controller can read the data fast enough and has a fast way to conver the data from parallell (CF) to I2S (serial) format. A rule of thumb says that you need a dataflow of arround 60kbytes/second from the CF and a programmable SPI interface or a fast enough uC to feed the data to a MP3 chip.

BR,
/Farhad

MP3 + PIC16C745

Cool... I guess I'm a bit too ambitious. I got your points, so better forget about PIC16C745.

Wouldn't it be possible (without the whole USB non-sense) for a microcontroller (PIC) to decode an MP3 file? Even if it is low quality (eg. 8Kbps) or something.

Sputnik

If you are reading from a hard disk I would think you will have to handle the FAT.
I think you should have a FAT in order to be able to store the songs and find them later.
Probably a lot more work to handle the FAT, Am'I right????
How about the memory sticks, do they have a kind of FAT to organize the contents???
S.

Sputnik said:
Wouldn't it be possible (without the whole USB non-sense) for a microcontroller (PIC) to decode an MP3 file? Even if it is low quality (eg. 8Kbps) or something.

Sputnik

PIC's don't have enough power to do mp3 decoding....but performance is okay for streaming out a bitstream to an attached mp3 decoder chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back