Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is it possible that a PIC12F510 chip can be programmed using PIC12F509 protocols?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I bought a PIC12F510 chip because it has AD capabilities. However, it turns out that this chip is not known by my programmer.

But, the 12F509 and 12F519 chips (which look exactly the same except they doesn't have the AD capabilities) are. And I can use the 12F509 and 12F519 setting and the programmer seems to communicate with the chip OK.

So, is it possible that I can write the ASM code using MicroLab set up for the 510 and program the HEX code with the programmer set up for the 509 (or 519) chip?

Are chips possibly interchangeable like this?

Thanks. Chris.

Hi,

Most Pic12F or 16F chips will run on the same code, however you have to be aware of the slight differences between the chips, like the ADC function your mention, and make changes to the code to allow for those extra or lesser functions.

If stuck post your code.

Not familiar with Microlab, but why not uses the Assembler thats an integral part of Microchips Free IDE - MPLAB, which has inbuilt Simulators and Debuggers.

Out of interest what is you programmer ?

Thanks for that wp100. But my question was really do chip programmers talk to similar chips the same way?

That is, will my programmer be able to communicate successfully with the 510 chip if it thinks it is communicating with a 509 chip (as long as the data, clock, Vpp Vss and Vdd are connected correctly)?

Or, does the chip selection on the programmer software do nothing more than arrange the connection of the data, clock, Vpp Vss and Vdd lines to the right pins?

Thanks.

Thanks for that wp100. But my question was really do chip programmers talk to similar chips the same way?

That is, will my programmer be able to communicate successfully with the 510 chip if it thinks it is communicating with a 509 chip (as long as the data, clock, Vpp Vss and Vdd are connected correctly)?

Or, does the chip selection on the programmer software do nothing more than arrange the connection of the data, clock, Vpp Vss and Vdd lines to the right pins?

Thanks.

Hi,

Chips must be programmed in a sequence set by the manufacturer - they usually have full manuals on the subject if you want to go into greater detail.

In practical terms you can program some chips with the code from another providing they are very similar.
For example I can use a 16F876A program and burn it into a 877A chip or 18F2520 into a 4520 using a Pickit2

Will it work on a 509 / 510 not sure how similar they are, you could try, though you would have to take out the 510s adc reference for the 509.

You have not mentioned what your programming device is, some are better than others.

A Microchip Pickit2 or Pk3 will program both the 509 and 510 as standard so if you intend to persue Pics its well worth investing in a decent programmer like a PK2 or the newer Pk3 which covers all the latest chip.

Ta wp100.

I will try it and let you know how I get on. Fingers crossed.

I had trouble justifying the $40 I spent on this programmer: K149 USB PIC programmer clone which does what it can do good enough for me.

Yah. Success. Managed to program the 510 chip with the programmer set for the 509 with a program written in MPLAB for the 510 chip.

Didn't try using the ADC though but I expect that it will be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back