Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"is it ok to use a 19.5 power supply(Charger ) for my 18.5v laptop."

Status
Not open for further replies.

sankalani2003

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
"is it ok to use a 19.5 power supply(Charger ) for my 18.5v laptop."

my previous laptop charger ratings are
# 18.5 V ,3.5 A ,65W

my new charger ratings are,
# 19.5 , 4.65 A ,90 W

there is hardly much difference in the ratings. so, yes you can use.. It should work.

guess you must've figured out the connectors matches and also make sure the polarity's are same(they generally do)
is it worth the risk? your laptop’s charging/regulator circuit is obviously designed to expect 18.5V, not 19.5V.

i have acer aspire 5315 with power rating of 18.5 V ,3.5 A ,65W
and i used 19 , 4 A ,90W. worked for me form the last year. with no problem at all.

This might work properly but current capacity for new adapter is nearly 1.3 time than older one. This may reduce your battery life. This may also cause over heating of your battery.

Most if not all laptops have internal battery charge monitors and regulators and also cater for some differences in natural battery cell voltage. I would say it should be safe. If in doubt, connect a pair of 5A (or more) diodes in series with the power supply to drop a volt or two. Extra current capacity in the power unit doesn't mean the laptop will actually use more of it, all it mans is there is a greater reserve if needed.

Brian.

i ended up damaging my laptop under the same assumption that the battery would use only the required current... my battery did not even last 20 chargings... within 15 or 16 times of charging it was not giving backup of even 10 minutes... same battery used to give back up of 4 hours before doing this... the rest is left to the poster to use it or not....

No problem at all. Except if battery is in charging mode. There is good chance to reduce your batt. capacity because of different charging cycle.

have you tried it before posting your answer or want the poster to test and curse everyone later.........

theoretical and practical knowledge are not same........

Yes sir but we cant say the problem until the charging and the relating circuits of the laptop .
there may be used different types powers that is 5V,12v etc in the laptop .
so check the circuit if it available

I am not expert at this but i want to say that the charger will work fine for your laptop, because charger carries an adopter which can resist the flow of current through the circuit and it is safe to use a 19.5 charger for a 18.5 battery.

I work with safety of the ITE Equipment and the standard determines that all the equipment shall be operate perfectly using + 10 % and - 20 % for DC power supply. There is a internal circuit to control the current and voltage.
But it is a good ideia use a serie diode to reduce the voltage.

Elio Magnus

Status
Not open for further replies.