Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is electrolytic capacitor and alternative forTantalum ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

boiler95

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi Guys,

i have one doubt. I'm building a unipolar stepper driver. (Linistepper). It required a 10uF, 25V Tantalum Capacitors, and 2.2uF, 35V Tantalum. I'm not finding Tantalum capacitor type. Is it fine if i use a Electrolytic type ? Will i have any issues ?

Thanks and Regards,
Srivatsa

generally low uf electrolitic cap has High ESR, you have to search for High quality Electrolitics if you want to use one

Tantalum capacitors are also electrolytic devices; other electrolytics use aluminum as the base material.
For the application like yours, the switching process is slow so any electrolytic might work. The IC or semiconductor devices used in the driver may be sensitive to a leakage, this is why tantalum capacitors are often preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back