Not open for further replies.

fuful_ove

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,
i have a simple question , is dc-ac converter a switched mode power supply?
can you give me a reference for it?
in many papers i saw that it is mentioned dc-dc converters are belong to SMPS!

THANKS

It seems to be easy to call several topologies switched mode. However it is (or was) associated more with DC-DC converters, rather than DC-AC.

I recall a company came out with their line of switched-coil converters, giving them a name 'Switchmode'. Companies often give their product a catchy trademark name, hoping people will associate the name with their product, and only their product, and that they will not apply it in a general way to similar products.

However switched-mode can also be a general term, describing a modern approach to designing more efficient power supplies. Sort of a catch-all term.

So to be specific I like to use the term switched-coil when talking about DC-DC converters.

DC-to-AC conversion requires switching, so there's little distinction if we call it switched-mode.

Any where a transistor is switched to control output power is an example of a switched mode converter, even a triac controlling a lamp...

Status
Not open for further replies.