Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is CLK open drain in I2C protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Make sure you connect a pull-up resistor.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
what if i am doing I2C from a PIC that doesnt have an I2C module?

Does that mean i have to use two external open drain BJTs and have separate input and output ports?....ie four pins of the pic used to give the I2C protocol?

If you're using a PIC that doesn't have an I2C module, then you'll be using software I2C. The two pins you'll use as CLK (SCL) and DATA (SDA) should be pulled up using pull up resistors. No need to use external BJTs.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
....if i do that , does that mean i have to transmit by changing a pin repeatedly from output low to high Z?

....i would have thought taking a PIC pin output high was prohibited because it would short to ground via the slaves I2C port?

...changing a pic pin repeatedly from output low to high z is not going to be quick or easy?

Status
Not open for further replies.