Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is a simple pi network causal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

padpan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
+As known a simple pi-network is fully passive and stable. The simplest representation would be as attached figure1.jpg. But is this netwrok causal?

I applied a simple step response in the input (0 to 1V from 1ns to 1.01ns, i.e. rise time = 10ps). figure2.jpg is displaying the signal at the input (colored blue) and the signal at the output (colored red). Black curve is the ideal stimulus of the signal generator.

It seems that the output at t=0+ follows the input, which i believe is in contrast with causality theory; as if the line inductance that the pi-network represents brings no delay.

So it all comes to the question: can any lumped element based network have a causal behavior? Also, how severe would the impact of such a non-causality be?

thanks,
--pap

Attachments

• figure1.gif
    figure1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 100

The question sounds strange, because passive networks can't be but causal. Your circuit has however undelayed and first order low-pass pathes between input and output, so the observed waveform isn't surprizing.

Passive networks must be causal (from conservation of energy). The reason of the curves you post is not very clear to me. Could you, please, post the complete circuit with components values as well as how the generator (and its impedance) is connected to the circuit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back