Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is 220V & 110 V are digital signals (digital supplies) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

munzir

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is 220V & 110 V are digital signals (digital supplies) ?

If a plc is giving output in terms of 220V or 110 V then can we call these digital outputs ?

PLC will output dry contacts (relay output) or 5 / 24 VDC (depending on the PLC)

I think the output may be called as digital output if the output is either 110V/220V (for on) and 0V (for off). I think you can call this digital control because there are 2 states of the output (1 - 110V/220V and 0 - off). But the 220VAC sine wave itself is not digital since the values vary continuously according to the sine wave.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Hi All
I'm agree with Tahmid , just the square waves what have on or off , or things alike them , called digital signals .
Regards
Goldsmith

A digital signal is a physical signal that is a representation of a sequence of discrete values (a quantified discrete-time signal),
for example of an arbitrary bit stream, or of a digitized (sampled and analog-to-digital converted) analog signal.

The term digital signal can refer to

-a continuous-time waveform signal used in any form of digital communication.
-a pulse train signal that switches between a discrete number of voltage levels or levels of light intensity,
also known as a a line coded signal, for example a signal found in digital electronics or in serial communications
using digital baseband transmission, or a pulse code modulation (PCM) representation of a digitized analog signal.

A signal that is generated by means of a digital modulation method (digital passband transmission), produced by a modem,
is in the first case considered as a digital signal, and in the second case as converted to an analog signal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signal

Hi All
I'm agree with Tahmid , just the square waves what have on or off , or things alike them , called digital signals .
Regards
Goldsmith

Yes. After all, the digital output from a microcontroller or digital chip is usually square wave (VCC/VDD for high, GND for low).

so, can we call them (110V or 220V) output voltage of a PLC to digital output OR not ?

If considering a wave (i.e sine wave or cosine wave) then its a analogue voltage (supply) ? Right ???

Dear danishdeshmuk
Hi
Yes you're quite right .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

But the out put of a PLC isn't digital , because it's relay , will conduce a sine wave .
but the command of it's out put relay , is digital.

so, can we call them (110V or 220V) output voltage of a PLC to digital output OR not ?

I would say no, they are not digital signals.

These outputs supply only on/off-control power to relays, actuators , etc...
They dont carry any coded information.

If for example : four of these outputs generate four bit parallel binary code , then these four outputs are giving digital signals
If for example : one output is giving morse code , then this output is giving time coded digital signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back