Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IRG4PC50UDPBF discontinued

Status
Not open for further replies.

aless2056

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Personal,

The company has some equipment for corona discharge treatment that uses the IGBT IRG4PC50UDPbF, this item was discontinued and in its place the manufacturer recommends the IKW30N60DTP.

We use it in an equipment that gives electrical discharge in the plastic film and sometimes it pierces the cylinder that receives and is leaking to the ground. And even with the protection of the circuits, sometimes the IGBT burns if it stays in this condition for a long time, we change it and go back to working normally, but recently the item was discontinued and the manufacturer recommends another item.

We bought this item but realized that it works normally, however when this cylinder hole occurs it burns directly, it is not as resistant as the previous one.

I don't understand the terms of the datasheet, to compare in depth. But what I read in the datasheet the original has Icm and Ifm of 220A and the replacement has this value in 90A. I'm not sure what this parameter is and if it's causing these burns

A personal help

If this is a capacitive sealing type application, the
plastic film itself may be part of the problem -
flaws, pinholes etc. present a lower breakdown
and there's where an arc will start, and then the
IGBT sees more than designed current.

Now you might ask, where is the protection against
such faults, and why does it not protect the
equipment?

I would not take that vendor's applications advice,
if they steer you from a 200A device to a 90A
knowing nothing about the magnitude or duration
or root cause of those fault events.

You should be able to source devices with equal or
better ratings through many distributors' "chooser"
apps?

I find 5 types on Digi-Key with roughly-right combo
of breakdown voltage, wattage and peak current
(attached .zip of .csv).

But I think you want to talk to the equipment manufacturer
about these fault episodes and how to prevent or mitigate.
Maybe there's an overcurrent protection that needs
tweaked, or something. Or maybe you need to buy a
better grade of plastic film, or keep grit out of the
workroom, or whatever.

Attachments

• transistors___igbts___single.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 58

I don't understand the terms of the datasheet, to compare in depth. But what I read in the datasheet the original has Icm and Ifm of 220A and the replacement has this value in 90A. I'm not sure what this parameter is and if it's causing these burns

I too do not understand: all replacement devices should have equivalent or better specifications.

It is quite possible the manufacturer has discontinued a product for reasons other than you are currently facing. As they do not wish to lose customers, they have suggested the best they have in line.

Of course you need not take their advice and select parts as per your requirements.

First comment, both devices are different in so far that IKW30N60 has an anti-parallel diode and the obsolete device has not. Depending on the application circuit, the difference may matter.

For a circuit that withstands load shorts by chance rather than by design, finding a replacement type involves some engineering effort. Ultimately, the circuit would be supplement by an overcurrent detection or load short shut down feature. Using a "stronger" IGBT might work, but not necessarily.

First comment, both devices are different in so far that IKW30N60 has an anti-parallel diode and the obsolete device has not. Depending on the application circuit, the difference may matter.

For a circuit that withstands load shorts by chance rather than by design, finding a replacement type involves some engineering effort. Ultimately, the circuit would be supplement by an overcurrent detection or load short shut down feature. Using a "stronger" IGBT might work, but not necessarily.
The Original IGBT also has anti-parallel diode.

The equipment is Chinese and old, it has been around 6 years and the manufacturer no longer exists.

The equipment uses signals from current transformers to send the control board and cut the trip.
--- Updated ---

A friend told me that it might be necessary for IGBT to have SOA (short circuit safe operating area)

But I don't know what that means for sure

The Original IGBT also has anti-parallel diode.
According to datasheet it has not, see reverse breakdown voltage specification. There may be an external diode in the circuit.

1623914902941.png

A friend told me that it might be necessary for IGBT to have SOA (short circuit safe operating area)

Every device has a DC safe operating area and a duty cycle dependent SOA and a one-pulse (spec width) SOA. This is what you are violating by some combination of device, control and workpiece attributes. You can fix one of these by catalog shopping.

Guys, I don't know if you know the equipment for plastic film treatment for the corona effect, called corona treatment.

This equipment is an H Bridge formed by igbts transistors and in the H bridge, we have a transformer that raises the secondary voltage to about 10KV and applies an electrical discharge in a plastic film to make the impression afterwards.

I have equipment that uses the IRG4PC50UDPBF, this item has been discontinued, can someone help me find a replacement for it. I tested some and they worked, but there is a condition in which a leakage of 10KV can occur and in this leakage current, I have the current transformers that monitor the current and prevent burning by cutting the trip. With the IRG4PC50UDPBF I never had a burning problem, but with the replacements I tested, they all burned in this condition.

Can someone tell me a replacement for the IRG4PC50UDPBF, it doesn't have to be from the IR, it can be from another manufacturer?

that's cause the newer ones are faster to turn off and have lower tail currents, try choosing crappier modern IGBT's ....

Status
Not open for further replies.