Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR2110 Simulation not working in LTSPICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgecarlin

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am trying to implement a half bridge topology using IR2110. My LTSPICE simulation is not behaving as it should. This is my LTSPICE Simulation for the half bridge.
1603392417220.png

I am not seeing any pulses in my low and high side. This is my simulation results:
1603392918937.png

Blue is the high side and green in the low side. I have attached my LTSPICE and the model used for ir2110. Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• microsim-ir2110.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Senior_design.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 147

Hi

IR2110 has a pin called "logic supply". This should be supplied with the same voltage than the signal source Vin Hin.

IR2110 has no TTL compatible inputs.

IR2110 is one of the most often discussed topic. All are about input voltage levels, bootstrap mistakes, PCB layout problem.

I recommend to read through some application notes. The manufacturer provides them for free.

Klaus

Your power supply appears to be 160V. Therefore M1 needs 160V bias voltage in order to turn it On. Theoretically a resistor divider could be part of your bias network.

Remember once M1 conducts, the node just below it is at 160V, in turn affecting how much M1 remains On.

It might be easier to use Pmos for M1.

In reality mosfets are liable to damage (perforation of insulated gate) due to high voltage.

Last edited:

The logic input pulses need to be at least 12V - you need to turn on the lower device 1st to charge the "boot-strap" supply cap on the upper device - else the upper drive has no power and cannot turn on ...

Hi,
Your power supply appears to be 160V. Therefore M1 needs 160V bias voltage in order to turn it On. Theoretically a resistor divider could be part of your bias network.
I see nothing wrong in driving M1.
The IR2110 is designed to drive high side N-Ch Mosfets with the help of the bootstrap circuit.

Klaus

The question was essentially answered in post #2. IR2110 works well at VDD of 5V and a with slightly degraded performance at VDD of 3.3V. You need however a separate logic supply.

Regarding starting sequence, the high side will start to switch as soon the bootstrap capacitor has been charged, may be after the first low side pulse.
It's another question how to achieve safe start without load overcurrents in a real application. It may be advisable to ramp up the output duty cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.