Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] ir2110 drive boost converter short circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshh

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i used ir2110 to drive boost converter (low side switching) but when i connect the source input it make short circuit and the dc source turned off. i don' know the reason i simulate it on Proteus and it works fine.
note; i didn't find ir2110 in proteus so i used ir2112( they are the same )

Attachments

• boost converter.pdf
    12.8 KB · Views: 174

Hi,

The IC has undervoltage lockout on both channels.
So don't be surprised when it shuts down when you don't power high side driver.

And you violate V_IH level.

Klaus

i didn't get you where is the problem? i used the low side so Hin is connected gnd

Last edited:

Yes, low- and high side driver are working independently. High side UVLO doesn't affect low side.

The problem report isn't very clear. Are you talking about shorted power transistor, defective IR2110?

short circuit happened on the input terminal of the dc converter, when i removed the input terminal and measured voltage using voltmeter i found 6.5 v on input?!!

Hi,

Indeed I can't find a clear information whether both UVLO work independently or not.
From the drawing I see no connection. So maybe FvM is right.

Still you violate V_IH.
But this does not explain short circuit.
I assume the schematic does not match the test circuit.

Klaus

It seems like the inductor is saturating. If the inductor is saturating, it would draw a lot of current from the supply. If the supply has a current limit setting and protection, then it would turn off. I doubt Proteus does simulate core saturation. Some simulators like LTspice does.

Try it with low PWM duty cycle to see if it would still shut down.
--- Updated ---

What's the input voltage of your converter?

Last edited:

The input voltage is 12v from pc power supply. But why would the inductor saturate? ,there is no load yet. And the transistor is good

Last edited:

Hi

I think Akanimo is correct.
It's not a true short circuit, but just high current.

See the current flow path when the Mosfet is ON. --> Load is not involved
And after some 10us ... or some 100us the current will become high, too high. The inductor will saturate, thus the current will rise even faster.

Klaus

yes that's right, it's the normal operation of boost converter to draw current even without load being connected. the current was high because it wasn't controlled.
thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.