Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ipod charger for automobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

zainka

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am going to build a stepup power supply to make necessary power for my Ipod to be charged while driving. Thus I need a stepup converter to generate the 30V as used in firewire 6 pin contacts. IEEE1394 says each firewire ports can supply up to 45W so the step up converters I have found at maxim for example ar way to "flabby" to be able to give the ncesary power. My question is, does anyone know aboute a stepup converter that can prowide, say, 25-45 W at app. 5-15V in and 30V (or adj) out, or prehaps you know aboute any reff designs I can use??

Final, youst I thought i had... I guess the Ipod will regulate down the 30V given as input, so Prehaps I do not need the 30V given by firewire... Anyone knowing anything aboute Ipods internal voltages???, If this is less than voltage given by the car 12V outlet for cigarets many problems are solved already since there prehaps are no need for any stepup converters. Any ideas???

Thanks in advance

NOTE: I have an pretty old Ipod with only the 6 pin firewire port used for charging so some of the car chargers I have seen on marked wont fit....

Thought I should answer my self a bit. I now know that the iPod uses 12V and a maximum of 1A as input voltage and that most possible the 40V firewire voltage is switched down, or, it IS switched down. Thus a simple 12V up/down switcher would be usefull to give the neccessary voltage in use in automobile enviroments.

Status
Not open for further replies.