Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IP address problem when using virtual box as a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankscorek

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends its been long since i came back here...but now i missed u all and so i am posting another query

I am using win XP as host and ubuntu 9.10 as guest

i am running a PCMCIA card and a ethernet cable on win XP

i need both them on virtual box from where i can do an ip forward from one adapter to the other..

its mainly i want to go in for a router using virtual box so that all data is routed via virtual box and not via the host os which is XP in my case..

router laptop has ethernet connection in the address range of 10.22.xx.xx subnet 255.255.0.0 and

pcmcia network card wireless supporting 802.16 with ip range of 192.168.xx.xxx subnet 255.255.0.0

i want to make the 192 network talk to 10 network using virtual box as a router...no involvement of win XP

the pcmcia card has its own dhcp server and is capable of supporting a mesh architecture....

the host has the driver enabled for the card and hence card works fine on the host

pcmcia card and ethernet card are connected in a bridged mode to the virtualbox.....

i disabled the tcp/ip on the host in the case of pcmcia card..

in the guest pcmcia is not getting any ip address..whereas ethernet is getting some address but i am unable to access the internet from the guest ...the internet is connected via ethernet cable on the host......

subsequently i managed eth4(pcmcia) and eth5(cable) in bridged mode and i also enabled ip fwd =1

here is my routing table

Code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
10.22.0.0       *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth5
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1000   0        0 eth4
192.168.0.0     10.22.1.1       255.255.0.0     UG    0      0        0 eth5
192.168.0.0     192.168.5.34    255.255.0.0     UG    0      0        0 eth4
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth4
default         10.22.1.1       0.0.0.0         UG    100    0        0 eth5
the clients on 192 network still cant access internet..

they cant ping the static ip of the card

they can ping the inbuilt dhcp server ip of this card..

snippet of my /etc/network/interfaces file

Code:
auto eth4
iface eth4 inet static
address 192.168.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.22.6.171
gateway address is the address of the ethernet cable which is eth5 on virtual box

scenario is that i have 2 machines one virtual box and the other windows

the virtual box has 2 bridged adapters one is a cable and the other is a pcmcia card. pcmcia card is used to connect to the windows machine which is also having a pcmcia card..both cards have been given static ip addresses

these cards have inbuilt dhcp server with ip address

the windows machine is able to ping the virtual box dhcp server address inbuilt in the card but cannot ping the ip address..however when virtual box tries to ping windows dhcp ip address it returns destination unreachable

when i added a unicast entry in the routing table i got this error for the same ping from vb to windows

Code:
connect: Network is unreachable

when i tried to bring my windows machine in the VB then also it was unable to ping the ip it was pinging earlier and also behaved in the same manner as the VB
please someone any suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.