Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Involvement of hardware and software

Status
Not open for further replies.

karthikkrv85

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai to all,

I would like to know some details about the involvement of hardware and software involvement in a microcontroller.

As for my understanding, the software's involvement is just on the top level. I mean from source code to objective file and storing in the defined location in the memory.

Once if the necessary actions were burned inside the memory, the microcontroller's architecture (hardware sections) will take care of the executions like fetch, decode and execution operations.

am i right till this point or the software is involved further levels in the fetch, decode or execution?

Thanks

study some of the example software (firmware) used in PIC or other micro-controllers.. understand the code used, this can be either in C or assembly, I think assembly language would be better as its simple, a simple program like a LED flasher would be a suitable program.

Also study the datasheet of the micro-controller.

Learning assembly language would help you a lot..

Hai arbj,

Thanks for your reply...

I think i have presented the post in a wrong way or you have misunderstood my question.

My question is, after we burn the program into the microcontroller's memory, who will fetch, decode and execute? microcontroller's hardware or software?

I understand that the assembler gives the object file and then the linker will be arranging the modular's code/opcode in the defined location using some algorithm. After we program all these details/opcode's will be stored in code memory. Now who will fetch the opcode and perform the steps?

Thing is a interviewer argued that the OS (software) will be doing all such things and hardware is simply dummy.

I think now you have understood my question.

Thanks a lot for your reply

It is a bit of a philosophical question - a bit like 'when I have burnt my software into hardware is it still software?'. I would suggest it actually becomes 'firmware'.

The firmware is 'executed' by the hardware.

Instruction fetch, decode etc is a hardware function. The hardware is fetching the code (firmware instructions).

I am not sure I have answered your question though!

Keith

Thanks keith...

I was arguing with the interviewer almost like this kind of answer. But i didn't said it is firmware to him. I didn't know in what sense he has taken my explanation.

May i know one more thing, The RTOS is also becomes firmware. right?

Thanks for your reply and i am taking your answer is one of the positive point with my answer.

Yes, RTOS is software which I would say if firmware when it has been programmed into a device. I think your understanding of the distinction between what the hardware and software/firmware does is correct. However, hardware has no "intelligence" and in that sense it is a "dummy" but when it has some firmware/software it is the hardware which is performing the instruction fetch and decoding/executing the instruction. So, hardware is not really that dumb.

Keith.

However, hardware has no "intelligence" and in that sense it is a "dummy" but when it has some firmware/software it is the hardware which is performing the instruction fetch and decoding/executing the instruction. So, hardware is not really that dumb.

Keith.

Thanks keith for your help...

As you said the hardware it self has the ability to recognize the opcode which are belong to its architecture and performs. Otherwise it is a dummy.

Thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back