Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverse IIR Filter - computing the inverse of a filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cplusruss

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,

New here. I'm trying to compute the inverse of a filter in the Z domain. Given the system transfer function H(z) = N(z)/D(z), I wish to find an inverse filter transfer function. If I put a sine wave into the forward filter H(z) and then put the output into the inverse filter, I should get the input signal back. The way I understand this is that the inverse filter transfer function is literally 1/H(z) = G(z), where G(z) is the inverse filter. I seem to be getting a large impulse for 10 ns or so and then a very, very small output. Any ideas? Anyone ever computed an inverse filter?

Regards

Re: Inverse IIR Filter

@ cplusruss

i am also new to filter designing.. i had been trying to approximate the arbitrary channel impulse response of the wireless channel. I didnt have any luck on creating the inverse filter...

Re: Inverse IIR Filter

Thanks anyway, I'm also very new to IIR filters. It turns out from my reading of Williams and Taylor's Electronic Filter Design Handbook and a few other miscellaneous sources that inverse filtering of certain signals can be quite difficult. My filter is in the Z-Domain strictly (as IIRs somewhat are) so then it would seem that

If H(z) was my system transfer function with input X(w) being a sine wave or rectangular function then we would expect the inverse filter (in Hz) to be described by H(z)G(z)=1, such that G(z), the inverse filter transfer function, is G(z)=1/H(z). However, since the stability of the system in the time domain is affected by the choice of Z coefficients, the inverse filter might not be BIBO stable. This would mean simply that a Z-Transform could not be taken, or that the denominator will have poles which are high magnitude. In theory, if I cascaded my forward and inverse second-order IIR Lowpass filters together, my output should clearly be X(w). However, this is not the case. I decided, unless someone knows anything about inverse filtering, to simply try finding filter coefficients for the equivalent highpass filter (the inverse of the lowpass).

Filters can be tricky...

Inverse IIR Filter

you should also be aware of minimal and non-minimal phase filters. Some of the filters are not invertible from it's principles.

Refer the attached text for example of IIR Inverse Filter (Ex 5.5: IIRinverse)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back