Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inverse FFT and impulse response with matlab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supaswing

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a measured truncated spectrum and I want to know the corresponding impulse response. How should I do?
I padded the data with zeros and created the complex symmetric spectrum from these data to have a real signal when applying the ifft.
But. Results is not at all what I had expected. I think the Nyquist frequency is ok and tried to multiply the signal in frequency domain with a window function but still funny results
How should I do to get the good results?
Thank you

I don't know if I understand very good what you mean by your message, but I think that the impulse response is defined for a system not a spectrum or a signal?

Sorry for the poor writing. :!:
Yes your are right but by point is : if the system have been fed by gaussian pulse so we can write in frequency domain Y=G*X with G the transfer function of the system and X the gaussian pulse's Fourier transform and X=H*I with H the dirac-to-gaussian transfer function (which is a gaussian, too) and I a constant corresponding to the Fourier transform of the dirac.
Therefore, I know H,I,X and Y and I just need G...the transfer function or its reciprocal, the impulse response! Voila

I have a measured truncated spectrum and I want to know the corresponding impulse response. How should I do?
I have only partial frequency domain data and I want to know the corresponding impulse response (which should we smoothed compared to the original one, see below)

I tried to multiply the signal in frequency domain with a window function but still funny results
Which is equivalent to low-passing the data...

I padded the resulting data with zeros and created the complex symmetric spectrum from these data to have a real signal when applying the ifft.
to ouptut real data, ifft needs complex symmetric data input.

:arrow: but trouble...
qualitatively the resulting impulse response is very wrong, the signal needs to be equal to 0 at t=0 and equal to 0 at t=1/Fs, how can I do that and keep meaningfull results.

did u made its phase correctly? your spectrim must have asymetry in phase.
u can also use hilbert transform

Status
Not open for further replies.