Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inventum scale, need to kill whatever controls timer off for display... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highwaykind

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We've got an Inventum WS86 scale that's incredibly useless.
The display automatically turns off after some seconds so if you're in the middle of weighing eggs/flour etc you're screwed.

I dismantled the thing, and that's as far as my electronics knowledge goes.
I'd like to know what piece on the board I need to destroy / disconnect in order to completely disable the automatic time off function ( the scale has a power button that turns it off too) while keeping the rest working.

If I accidentally brick it, no problem (at least I'm learning something).

I can take pictures of the board, the numbers are C1991203 and C1991101 (just in case there's a database somewhere for this stuff).
I could also try to copy it in a drawing (but I might need a tutorial for this, it seems complicated and I don't really know where to start?) or do whatever else is needed to figure this out. Things do seem to be labeled (R12, C12, Q3, U3 etc.. I'm guessing everythign R is resistor? Not sur about the rest, there also is a jumper. Board has 2 sides, and on the other side I can figure out sensor + an -, ground a+ and - Cal1 and 4 black cylinder thingies L.S 105 Celcius)

Thanks in advance!

According to the manual **broken link removed**, it's supposed to give you 60 seconds, therefore yours is not operating correctly. Possible causes: Weak batteries, battery contact being interrupted during use, cracked circuit board, etc.

Huh. New batteries.
Maybe I should have thought of that before I dismantled it..
(in my defense - this scale is getting a LOT of bad reviews online regarding the timer function and general uselessness).

So, I'll screw the thing back together and see if new batteries make any difference, if not I'll be back with a soldering iron and/or pliers at hand :wink:

Remember, many faults can be found by careful visual inspection and poking with a stick.:smile: If that doesn't reveal the problem, I'd be tempted to start replacing whatever electrolytic capacitors I saw starting with the largest. This technique is known as shotgunning (replacing parts based on experience and guesswork).

Last edited:

Put it back together (and it's still working, yay!) and timed the timer. Over 60 seconds. Will see what the baker of the household thinks of the improvement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back