Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

intresting way to bias an RF amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello i have a configuration as shown bellow which i dont understand its logic:
This circuit is supposed to pass 3.3V to the amplifier.
I dont have any knowledge about the drain in the mosfet.
What is the drain voltage in this case, how can i see if the transistor is saturated or not?
1623352101255.png

The "1V" may be a rough OP value that represents a more complex circuit's imposed control voltage such as a closed loop active bias scheme.

Hello dick_freebird, the big problem is when we connect the MOSFET to an amplifier in such way.
What is the value of the drain of the mosfet?

I can assume we have Vsg>Vt so its open but i cant know the drain value to see if its saturated or not?
Thanks.

Hi,

I think it is a simple switch, not the bias circuit itself.
FET is a PMOS, its Vsg is -2.3V, you should suppose it is enough to close the switch.

If DC current doesn't flow through it into the input of the amplifier it is in deep linear OP region.
With small DC current the Vsg is small enough to keep it in linear OP region, if the DC current is relatively high is the case it will be in saturation region, not so possible, but lot of details are missing (Vth,beta,Idc,discrete/integrated FET type?...)

Hello dick_freebird, the big problem is when we connect the MOSFET to an amplifier in such way.
What is the value of the drain of the mosfet?

I can assume we have Vsg>Vt so its open but i cant know the drain value to see if its saturated or not?
Thanks.
The drain voltage would depend on the load, the
load is the input bias current of the amplifier.

Seems peculiar, to drive the PMOS with a not-ground
voltage for turnon if this is supposed to be a "STFU"
switch. But we'd want a datasheet link for the amplifier
if we were to make sense of a switch or a current source
theory - what does its front end do with, or want from,
a switch or a pullup current source?

If this were attached to the amplifier front end,
you'd expect a small MOSFET to be an aggravating
noise source and a large one, a distortion issue
with its significant nonlinear drain capacitance).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back