Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interprocess communication using file i/o

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_mind

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to exchnage data between two windows applications. Could it be done through file i/o? Also explored TCP, UDP ,pipes etc. But I am looking for simpler method.

Don't know about WinXX but in Unix this is a done thing. Like feeding command line (or other) input streams to a simulator by

tail -f myBuffer | my simulator >&myLog

The simulator just sits there with its mouth open waiting for another dollop of "go do".

+1 for Linux in that respect and I love Dick's explanation!
I haven't used Windoze for years but I would imagine it has similar capability. If you do use files for IO, make sure you check for their existence before reading and especially make sure they don't contain old information as your application starts reading for the first time.

Brian.

Possible methods:

* The clipboard. To do more than simple copy and paste text requires detailed knowledge how to access clipboard and the involved programs.

* Scripting. Maybe Windows provides templates and examples. Or else you must seek tutorials and utility programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back