Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interpreting the Continuous time Fourier Transform

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsashwinkumar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a basic doubt regrading Continuous time Fourier Transform. Suppose a continuous signal has a band-limited CTFT spectrum (it exists only from say -Ωc to Ωc). Does that mean that if I pass it through a filter with a response such that it has a notch characteristic which selects only one frequency Ωb and Ωb<<Ωc, should a sinusoid at Ωc be expected at the output? Or in other words, if CTFT of a signal is non-zero for a particular frequency, does that mean the signal possess the corresponding sinusoidal frequency?
My doubt arose because of the following observation:
A sinc signal in time domain, will have a rectangular CTFT, and the CTFT is non-zero at Ω=0. So one may be tempted to conclude that average/DC value of sinc is non-zero, however the math suggests that sinc has a zero average value (as avg(sinc) = \[\lim_{T \to \infty} \frac{ 1}{ T}\int_{\frac{-T}{2}}^{\frac{T}{2}}sinc(t)\, dt = 0\]).

So can one infer the existence of a particular frequency component from Fourier Transform? Or how to interpret the Continuous Time Fourier Transform..
Plz help me out...

Status
Not open for further replies.