Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internet connection sharing in Win2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UroBoros

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai

I have three client mechines and a host which is connected to the internet via a DSL connection.

The mechine which I mention as Host is connected via DSL to internet and is working ok.

The three clients are connected to the Host through a hub.

All the mechines are running in win 2000 Professional.

The network cards seem to be configured properly and all the mechines are accessable to each other for file , folder and priinter sharing.

But I cannot share the internet in all the mechines.

I have searched through the documents describibng ICS for win 2000 and tried to configure it.But no luck.

Please link me the correct procedure for the purpose and suggest the reasons for my deadlock.

I am not very expert in networking but just followed the instructions in internet for ICS ..

Thanks in advance

Picstudent

I assume that you have 2 ethernet cards on your server machine. One is connected to the DSL modem and the other to the Local network. You can also have a configuation that your DSL modem can be connected on USB and the ethernet port to the local LAN. As you haave said that the server has internet working OK.

Right Click the "My Network Place" and click properties. Right click the Ethernet network and click properties. Select TCP/IP and click properties.

#1. Your server should have the IP=192.168.0.1 and it should have the "intenet connection sharing enabled".

#2. The client machines should either have a fixed IP in the range of 192.168.0.x where x=2 to 254 or should have dynamic IP in which case the server should have the DHCP server configured.

#3. The client machines should have the Gateway and DNS server both set to 192.168.0.1 (the server IP).

If the above are OK, the sharing should work fine.

UroBoros

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
why not use the hub to connect to Internet via DSL modem?

The hub will only allow one PC to connect to the internet. That is why you have to use a router. either a hardware one or one configured on the PC

UroBoros

Hai

Thanks techie for the info.I got it working.

The only diference Or difficulty i am having is that I cannot fix IP's for clients.hey should be left to choose automatically. Then only working

host fixed to 192.168.0.1 and clients left assign automatically.

that creates a little bit problem for me in connection with the firewall i am having on the host. But i set it to allow all trafic from 0to 255 ips and somehow managing .

Thanks a lot

Picstudent

You can easily set the IPs to static. They should be in the range of 192.168.0.nnn with the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0. You also have to set the Gateway and DNS server both to 192.168.0.1. This is important. If you set all these 4 values correctly, you should be able to get everything working OK

UroBoros

hi

u could use winproxy which is solution of all intenet sharings

any proxy related software would sort out this problem

hi

i told before

i have used that also

its winproxy

WINPROXY

Status
Not open for further replies.