Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal tri-state bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebuddy

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a design, in which there is a hard macro memory IP block. The data bus of the memory is a tri-statable bus. When the memory goes idle, the bus goes high impedance. To prevent the floating net from causing any power leakage issue to other gates, I did a design like the one in the attach diagram.

Basically the NAND gates allow data bus to drive the rest of the logic when and only when EN is high; when EN is low, NAND gate will ignore the voltage level of the floating net, thus effectively block the high impedance from spreading to the rest of the logic.

You guys see any problem with this implementation vs. other methods (weak pull-up/down, bus latch)? Thanks.

ebuddy

Attachments

• CropperCapture[12].jpg
    CropperCapture[12].jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 66

It works. Or I'll just enable the memory all the time so that output never goes to high Z.

Yes it will work, but I think giving pull-up will be better. it will reduce noise susceptibility. and it is cost effective too.
are you going to use 16 or 32 NAND gates for 16/32 bit wide bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back