Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Internal or External Diode Clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrand

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am interfacing 5V TTL logic to a 3.3v device. The 3.3v device is not 5V tolerant but does have internal clamping diodes. Is is safe to use those diodes as long as I have a series resistor to limit the current (datasheet says 20mA max)? Or is it better to use external diodes as long as they are configured to turn on before the internal network?

I know they have the internal diode network to protect the I/O pins, but wasn't sure if it is "good practice" to use them for this purpose or not?

Thanks,
Alex

Hi

If I was You, I would use a simple voltage divider. This asures that the voltage is 3.3V to the input, with no problems.
I suggest a 1k8 resistor in series with a 3k3 resistor. This gives You a current of apprx. 1 mA. There are other solutions, but this is a very simple, cheap and well working solution.

Friendly regards
H.E.Tjelum

Reactions: abrand

abrand

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Mr. Tjelum's idea is good, but it is usually not a good idea to turn on the input diodes. It is done tho, with a max current well below 20 mA. This can make for a slow interface so isn't popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.