Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing Xilinx FPGA with PCI bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cippalippa

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Interfacing with PCI bus

Hi;

I'm starting a new project and I need to interface a Xilinx FPGA with PCI bus;
I need also to program the fpga from PCI bus in parallel slave mode from my microprocessor.
May sameone help me to make a choice about an external PCI bridge component for best performance or eventually say me other solutions.
Thanks in advance for all

Re: Interfacing with PCI bus

yes,

but how can I configure my xilinx (xc3s200) directly from the PCI bus?
Actually I use a microprocessor board with ISA bus; I have the xilinx's program bitstream in the HDD and I configure my fpga at the start of the machine in parallel slave mode directly from ISA bus; how can I make the same with PCI?

Interfacing with PCI bus

Oops sorry, I must have dozed off while reading your config requirement. Yes, you'll probably need a PCI bridge chip, for example PLX is popular:
http://www.plxtech.com/

Try downloading the hardware manuals for some of Alpha Data's products to get a general idea of how they do it. They use PLX. These are PMC boards, but PMC is electrically similar to PCI. I've used the ADM-XRC-II board.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

I used a XC2C256 Coolrunner cpld and made simple PCI target image for it : Output was jtag connected to jtag pins of the fpga. Or you can use serial or parallel configuration pins, if you like.

Interfacing with PCI bus

hi
Is there any PCI X bridge availabe??

Hi cippalippa,

You may want to consider BDS XPCI PCI IP core we have developed.
BDS XPCI PCI IP core is a Xilinx (TM) LogiCORE (TM) PCI compatible PCI IP core.
We offer this PCI IP core for as little as $100 for non-commercial, non-profit, personal use.
For more information, visit https://www.bracedesignsolutions.com.

Kevin Brace

cippalippa said:
Hi;

I'm starting a new project and I need to interface a Xilinx FPGA with PCI bus;
I need also to program the fpga from PCI bus in parallel slave mode from my microprocessor.
May sameone help me to make a choice about an external PCI bridge component for best performance or eventually say me other solutions.
Thanks in advance for all

Status
Not open for further replies.