Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

interfacing with parallel port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awais_atw

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can i connect parallel port directly with PIC16f877a, i came to know it can BURN parallel port of my PC. can any one answer, with reasons.

we (me and awais) are using parallel port with the help of visual basic and we are sending some values to the PIC. we need these values in PIC. Do i need any ULN between PIC and Parallel port? can we connect them directly? Any sugestion or reasons.

ULN your mean like ULN2003 (driver)? No you don't have to use ULN if you work in the same logic level between them. But sometime you should use opto-coupler for safer connection.

Hi,
I would suggest to use HC244 type bus buffers on the PIC side, as otherwise the signals at the output of the cable containing large undershoots and overshoots, may affect the PIC operation. Also it will be useful to buffer the signals from PIC going to parallel port. Also pull up resistors on the PIC side will absorb some transients.

Regards,
Laktronics

you could also use a PCB like this:

**broken link removed**

Hi, if you want to receive data from PIC board you can use status register in printer port. however, at one time you only receive a nibble of byte. After two times you will have full a byte.
also, you need 74244 (8 bit buffer) to connect between PC and board.
This is an example for you, good luck!

Added after 21 minutes:

example:

Status
Not open for further replies.