Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing USB storage device with microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

grittinjames

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
interfacing usb device to microcontroller

Hi,
I want to log a large data into USB storage device using microcontroller . Please help me how i can implement this ?. After writing to USB devices I want to read it from PC.Some please explain with an example code

Thanks and Regards

microcontroller usb storage

hi
You can use silabs c8051f32x MCU,it have usb interface,free code is supplied in www.silabs.com
I am a Chinese boy love MCU,I want to make friend with you .
good luck
MSN:sure@edalover.net

You can use the VDRIVE2 it makes USB to serial conversion and has FAT16 implemented so you can access files using MS-DOS like commands sent by serial port using a microcontroller.

You must choose a microcontroller that can work as a "master" in USB.
this microcontrollers have USB-OTG (USB On The Go) capability.
without this, it is impossible, at least as i know, to work directly with another USB device.
As an example you can use the AT90USB128-7 micro from Atmel.
Go to the Atmel's site and read the application notes.

goodluck
Reza

Best way is to use USB to UART bridge controller like CP2102 and configure your USB port as virtual COM and acess data.

hi Sushain,
Tell how how I can access flash memory in usb pen drive with microcontroller using your best way

perhaps it is better to store datas in a SD card.SD cards can connect to micro via SPI then you can use FT232 USB/Serial convertor to transfer data to PC

Hi

Use a miceo controller with USB capability.
the micro should be capable of acting as USB host ot USB OTG

Make sure it's not acting as USB device

Salam
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

hi,

I work it,you shuold use MMC memorys, you should write codes for FAT16,
I make a module for this task that have an AVR microcontroller and it can make a text file, open it,write data on this file, close file, delet file and format MMC and more...

just connect to my module with RS232 port and send your command on it.
after that you can read this imformation with general RAM readers. with Windows XP.
if you want have this module please mail me. thanks.

good luck.

iooo
no one is touching my point.
assume i have a microcontroller with USB otg.
with this how can i read data from usb storage.
plz plz help me

Hi grittinjames,
if you already have the USB otg, then u must understand how control your device to communicate with the usb device. there's UFI standard for mass storage device.

grittinjames

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
i recommend you this book

USB Mass Storage
Designing and Programming
Devices and Embedded Hosts
Jan Axelson
Lakeview Research LLC
Madison, WI

i hope it wii give you a solution

The chip is not the issue, easy to get just look for USB OTG or USB Host.
What you need is software, a USB Host Stack. This is a many many men months of work project, I would not know of a free available stack. Typical cost, several thousand $
The proposal that someone made before is much more realistic. Use a SD-Card and a driver that interfaces via SPI. Your board with the micro will need to have a SD slot for that. Still somewhat complex software but availability is better. You will probably need some file system, and again you are talking lots of software.

You might have underestimated the required software by orders of magnitude

Bob

hi all , can i access my flashdisk threw my pic16F84A ?

suppose i downloaded music from my pc and i want to play it using microcontoller and audio amplifire
is that possible ?

i just looking to design a simple cicuit can read the mp3 only from flash disk

can we ???????????????

I do understand your problem you need to adress 4 Gbyte ram ( 4 x2^30) you need 32 microntroller or you simulate it by using for example 8 bit micorontroller
by using 4 register and make sure that it has Usb interface like Pic 18f4550

no , suppose that i made a hoppy device used in cars , which i can download my mp3 music in to any flash disk ( any usual flash disk ) from my computer and suppose the capacity 2 GB

and i got pic16F84a micro controller as the reader in my car , after i finish downloading music from my pc i go to my car and plug it to circuit contain this microcontroller and start read the mp3 music

how can i let the microcontroller understand my flash and read my mp3 ?

seem like small project

Status
Not open for further replies.