Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

INTERFACING PENDRIVE TO MICROCONTROLLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

PICUSB

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HELLO ALL,
i am doing a project to transfer data from one pendrive to other without pc. i am using pic18f4550.it has on chip and off chip transciever. can i connect 2 pendrives to it and transfer data or i need host controller like vinculum to do this.Can this pic micro act as host?

PICUSB said:
Can this pic micro [pic18f4550] act as host?
No, it can not.

PICUSB said:
[do] i need host controller like vinculum to do this?
You need something that will act as a host controller. Vinculum, is probably the shortest path to success. Alternatively, you can find a more sophisticated microcontroller which can act as a host, but that's probably a much longer path.

why do we need a host controller???????SIE performs almost all functions of host.is it only for initiating communication on bus?can anyone tell me about handshaking signals betwwen host controller and PIC18F4550?

As a general remark. I wonder why questions, that have been asked and answered at edaboard a dozen times, are asked a new instead of reviewing the existing discussion and adding new questions, if necessary at all?

why do we need a host controller???????SIE performs almost all functions of host.
Without disccusing in detail what's the difference between almost and all, it simply doesn't work. Microchip has e.g. a PIC24FJxxxGBxxx family, that provides true host capability. To understand, what's exactly missing with a device controller as PIC18F4550, you may want to consult the USB specification, see www.usb.org/developers.

Athough I agree with Kender, that uP host firmware is a complex thing, Microchip's ready-to-use USB host examples for PIC24 can help you a lot.

I think PIC18F4550 can act as a host, also can act OTG, get "Microchip USB framework" from Microchip website, it is free ready made firmwares for USB supported by some types of PIC microcontrollers.

elrayes said:
I think PIC18F4550 can act as a host, also can act OTG, get "Microchip USB framework" from Microchip website, it is free ready made firmwares for USB supported by some types of PIC microcontrollers.

No the 4550 is a slave only device, no host mode.

hey i am also doing the same project,please help me how to read data from pendrive and how to write it into another?

Added after 1 minutes:

is that possible to do it by using 8051?

Status
Not open for further replies.