Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing COMS image sensor OV6620 with USB microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

duc24101986

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am developing camera system for a nano satellite (5kg)(a real satellite). I am going to use CMOS image sensor OV6620 for image acquisition
I intend to use USB micrcontroller to interface with this image sensor

1. The first approach: Using SiliconsLab C8051F340 (USB microcontroller):

This USB controller has I2C to control image sensor.
I have used I2C to sucesfully configure image sensor.
But , I am not sure how to capture image data from OV6620.
The output from OV6620 consists of:
- HREF: determine start of a frame
-VSYN: determine start of a line in a frame
-PIXCLK: determine pixel rate(8.8MHz)
-DATA[0-7]: 8 bit image data

The clock rate of OV6620 is 8.8MHz, so i need USB controller to capture these data and send to USB interface to computer(LinuxOS, Debian).
The clock rate of C8051F340 is 48MHz at maximum.
Could you guy address whether my C8051F340 can capture image from OV6620 and send to USB interface? and how to do that?

2. The second approach: using CYPRESS CV7C68013A USB controller:
I have heared that this USB controller is used to interface with image sensor OV6620. But again, could you guys have any experiences on this circuit before?

Thankx

I am not able to understand you USB is necessary for your project you can do the same without USB
because OV6620 gives you direct digital o/p

The USB is to interface from microcontroller to a computer (Linux Debian).
What I intend to to is to acquire image data from OV6620 by microcontroller and send to computer by USB.

I have 2 problem here:
>> How to acquire image data DATA[0-7](beside that also have HREF, VSYN, PIXCLK): the problem is how to handle the data . I am thinking of using external interrupt to get image data.

>> How to send image data to USB interface (given microcontroller has USB interface built-in): could any one explain the USB protocol , how the USB protocol operate?

Thanks alot

---------- Post added at 03:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 ----------

@nikhilele: I need USB interface, because image transmission need high speed. Normally, people use UART to transfer image, but this is to slow. Later I want to upgrade my CMOS image sensor to 1000*1000 pixel, so I need USB that is fast enough to transfer image.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

I got this code and project of digital camera this will definitely help you.

Attachments

• digitl camera.zip
    886.4 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: acp27

acp27

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.