Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing between Flash Memory and Microcontroller problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brennbar67

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
Currently I encounter some problem with my Flash Memory, whenever I want to erase some block of the memory location, it seem like my MCU will power down.

Because I tried to comment out the erase flash block function routine, and my MCU can enter into standby mode.
So whenever I uncomment the erase flash block function, and tried to pull-high certain pin from the MCU before and after enter the erase flash block function, and I can saw the signal is high observed from the oscilloscope , which mean that it can go through the program, but after enter the erase flash function, all the signal is low.. which mean that MCU is hanged/shut down. The signal suppose
should always high, but I got low signal...

Anyone can tell me what is the problem I encounter?

maybe u need more Current .
Flash need more power when you Erase/Write them
and less when you read them

Bypassing the pin with some big caps may help.. or drive it with a buffered driver if low current is the problem.

Re: Interfacing between Flash Memory and Microcontroller pro

But the problem is, I can program/write to the flash memory... which mean that if can write/program , so it should not be a problem for the current, right?
Just dunno why execute erase operation will cause some prob.....
Any ideas?

Read the datasheet and see the spec.. that will answer your question immediately. Or read the CPU reset reason.

write program to check BOR (Brown Out Reset)
if occure while Erase ...

Erase entire block use higher current than write
data a lot Check your flash memory datasheet

For your information, there is no hardware issue occur since I have checked the datasheet ^_^

is ur programe located in the same eeprom?
if so then you have a problem.
when you erase or write a block of data the eeprom is not accesable for 64 us......
if you the code from any memory section u will get the compliment of the last byte written till write operation is over.
hope this helps you.
hock

Hi hock,
The flash memory is an external ROM, and some of my program also store at the flash memory, but I already separated it out...so it wont affect my program running... I guess so....haha

And I just erase a certain block of the flash memory by giving the memory location and range to be erase....i think it wont affected my program... ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.