Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing a Dot matrix LCD to Spartan3 FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehdi1357

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to connect a Dot matrix graphic LCD (LGM240128A) to XC3S400-tq144 Xilinx FPGA. LCD have a 8 bit bidirectional Data port and some control I/O pins.

but I have a small problem,in my FPGA design VCCO=+3.3V but Dot matrix LCD have VCC=+5V. I don't know what would be the best solution that I connect these devices together.
thanks.

Hello,
As we know, driver of the dot matrix lcd is amazingly easy. However, your question is related to hardware not firmware. I dunno if it is the right section to ask this question, anyway I'll tell you what to do briefly...

If you will write only to the LCD, just write your driver to send commands and data to the LCD using 4-bit interface or 8-bit interface, you probably don't need to step up the voltage from 3.3v to 5v, but if you'll read data also from the LCD you should use some IC to shift the voltage from 5 to 3.3v and vice versa. I used the following chip "74lvx4245" and it is very easy to be used even if you want to mount it over a bread board.
You can download the data-sheet from here https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/74/74LVX4245.pdf
regards,
S. Yassin

Status
Not open for further replies.