Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing 320x240 LCD with PIC16F or 18F

Status
Not open for further replies.

poodina

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends
After going through a lot of threads, I was wondering can I interface a 320x240GLCD to display sensors reading on different parts of the LCD? I am thinking of use this resolution because I need a big display size around 114 mm x96mm. And I can not find a 240x128 GLCD in this size.

I have not yet started any work so I am open to any suggestions for GLCD as well as PIC. I am not looking at using LCD controllers as library are a bit difficult to find for certain LCD formats, would rather concentrate on writing code for actual sensor interfacing and display.

I have around 8 different sensors that need to be read, 6 need ADC and 2 are digital.

Hi,

Two questions - are you using Assembler or C ?

What glcds are readily available in your area ?

It is important to know the controllers chip that they use, as your code has to be done specifically for that controller.

I am using C, and the for the LCD I have not picked up any but have access to most the LCD with and without controllers. I have a problem deciding the res can I use 320X240 with the PIC 16F or PIC18F series of controllers? will a controller working at 20Mhz be fast enough to handle the 6 ADC calculations and handle a high resolution GLCD?

Hi,

Cannot help you with the code as I do Assembler, but have just run the Sim stopwatch to get a rough idea of the times - my adc rotuine was 40us and to write a full screen to the 128x64 glcd took 25ms - all that at a lowly 4mhz on a 18F chip - see picture

As you are doing C on a High Res (?) glcd 320x240 then extra memory would be a distinct advantage- look at the 18F4620 & 2620 chips.

A modern glcd with a SPI controller makes it easy to use and keeps the i/os to a minimum.

Hello!

will a controller working at 20Mhz be fast enough to handle the 6 ADC calculations and handle a high resolution GLCD?

The info you give us is missing something important: what is the frequency of
what you are measuring?

If you need to measure signals at 1 sample per second, I guess it would be more
than enough. Now if you measure at 100 ksps for each channel, that's a real
challenge and I think you need something faster.

Now for the LCD, again it depends on what you want to do.
Do you want to output values (I mean strings with the sensors' current values?)
Or do you want 8 simultaneous graphics?

If you need strings, then using 8 x 5 fonts will do it. If you have 1 value per line,
then you need 8 lines (64 pixels high) and therefore not necessarily a QVGA
format.

As for the display itself, if you have not yet chosen it, this one may be enough
(and it's delivered with source code)

**broken link removed**

Dora

My system is going to be used in a control system for an experimental DIY hybrid energy station [solar,wind and may be fuel cell]. And I do not require a colored display, I am thinking for using a monochrome GLCD, with high contrast so it can be red in day light condition. The sampling [ADC ]for the sensors is going to be roughly 10 times a sec.
The sensors are for pressure, temperature [two sensors],Volts [two sensors],amps [ these are ADC based]and pluses per second [2 digital inputs] and may need one more ADC based [not sure at the moment].
I will be able to write the code no problem with that , I just need some theory. for displaying , I have experience with ADCs though not so many at t time in one circuit , but should be able to it.
My many concern is the display , will this resolution slow the working, will it work or do I need to stick with 240x128? are there any GLCDs in 240x128 in 4.5inch by 3.5 inch sizes?
and most important is if I need to display analog dial kind of readings on this display how do I go about doing it, again theory is needed not the code.
I mean do Need to store the image [in hex] on the memory and use it? how do I show the movement of the dial [the pointer] to show the reading? in short how do I do the animation of the pointer to display real time readings.

@WP100 , thanks for the Info, I have something similar in mind but want to make it a bit fancy.
Please look at the LCD in the attachment, I am thinking of using one of these or similar. Cause these will give a good contrast and hence will be visible [readable] even in day light or direct sun light.
These are specifically sunlight readable.

And this is off topic, if I use a 16 bit or a 32 bit PIC can I run a colored LCD, with similar format?

any one have any idea on how to program a graphical lcd to display the ECG signal that i obtain?

No one knows if this will work? or a how to do the actual graphics on the LCD.

Status
Not open for further replies.