Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interfacing 24-bit 1kSample/s ADC with Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to interface a 4-channel, 24-bit, 1Ksps, with adjustable gain, ADC with Arduino. Has anyone experience to help me? What Arduino version should I use? (I will need to store the measurements on a SD card). Also which ADC is capable for interfacing with Arduino? What should I take care of the ADC? I need a DIP package because I am going to solder it, not a machine. I would be grateful if you could give your opinion/experience....

Hi,

DIL package and 24 bit ADC ..... I assume it will be hard to find.

I recommend to check for suitable interfaces on the arduino.
Maybe you are not the first one with such an idea, thus you should have a look at other solutions to find out what you think is good or not good.

There are ADC selection guides at every ADC manufacturer and almost every distributor´s internet pages.

Klaus

Hi,

How I'd tey to find the abswer on my own:
* open thd datasheet in a pdf viewer
* use the search function to search for "simul"

Klaus

Your posts are even more confusing. What do you exactly mean with "simultaneous operation"? ADS1256 implements a single ADC channel that can acquire multiple inputs sequentially. It's basically fast enough to achieve 4x1kS/s, including the necessary setup time for channel switching. If you however want true simultaneous sampling, you should clearly mention this and select a respective device.

- - - Updated - - -

If simultaneous sampling is required ADS1274 would be my standard solution, but it has no PGA. ADS131E04 seems to be possible candidate.

An important advantage of simultaneous sampling SD ADC is of course, that it relaxes the requirements for input filters if strict alias suppression or optimal SNR is an objective.

I will stay on ADS1256, because I have found not expensive boards on ebay, so I can use them with Arduino. Something else I want to ask, is what else should I take care of when using external IC A/D converters with Arduino?

Hi,

Something else I want to ask, is what else should I take care of when using external IC A/D converters with Arduino?
Global question...

From the electrical side: Read both datasheets and check that you are within the "operating specifications"...at least within the "absolutie maximum specifications".
Timing, PCB design recommendations, wiring recommendations, interface parameters....

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.