Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interface between Camera and Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron_do

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I need some ideas on how to interface between a camera sensor and an RF transceiver. The camera needs to deliver up to 12 MP @ 2fps. In the past, I have worked with Atmel's SAM9G25 MCU, which has a parallel camera interface. I think a parallel camera interface is a good way to go for its simplicity. However, the SAM9G25 only supports up to 4MP images as I recall. A USB interface would also work, but I'm not sure if I want to mess around with the complication of USB. I would like some suggestions on other possible MCUs, or perhaps other options, such as an FPGA, or some other IC.

Furthermore, I need to drive an RF transceiver with a LVDS input. The interface between the camera and the transceiver will have to do some basic processing on the image data to prepare it for transmission, such as splitting the data into packets, adding headers, error correction coding etc. Assuming I am using an MCU, can I simply output the data on a GPIO line, and then feed it through a differential driver? According to the datasheet, GPIO outputs on the SAM9G25 can toggle at 200 MHz which may be borderline sufficient for my application if I do some image compression. However, I'm wondering if the GPIOs can really toggle at that speed, or is there some major overhead I'm not considering. Perhaps someone can suggest a better way to do this.

Any feedback is welcome.

thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back