Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interconnection of multiple cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebas

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a design in which I use multiple cores for connecting to different interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART, etc. Each interface outputs the data to memory. I want to be able to both transmit data from the interface cores, read data from them and configure them (baud rate for example for UART). How can I do this? Can I use the Wishbone bus and build a master core to drive the operations, the interface cores being the slaves? Is it much easier if don't use the Wishbone and just build my own interconnections bus?
Basically my question is how do large design connect cores, do they all use a microprocessor? Looks like it by what I see on Xilinx' website, for example.

Thanks

Hi,

I have a design in which I use multiple cores for connecting to different interfaces: SPI, I2C, UART, etc. Each interface outputs the data to memory. I want to be able to both transmit data from the interface cores, read data from them and configure them (baud rate for example for UART). How can I do this? Can I use the Wishbone bus and build a master core to drive the operations, the interface cores being the slaves? Is it much easier if don't use the Wishbone and just build my own interconnections bus?
Basically my question is how do large design connect cores, do they all use a microprocessor? Looks like it by what I see on Xilinx' website, for example.

Thanks

I would be interested to know the answer to that one as well. I have a similar situation at the moment. Exactly the SPI, I2C, USB, display, etc. Up until now I managed to coordinate things using a state machine, but while adding more cores this becomes a little much. Since the target is a spartan-3e I am considering using a picoblaze. Up until now I have tried to avoid using a picoblaze or microblaze to avoid yet another learning curve.

And as sebas again the same thing... how difficult would it be do connect a picoblaze (or microblaze) to a wishbone bus? Anyone have any experience with that one and/or pointers to something to read up on?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back