Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Interconnect in High speed circuits??

Status
Not open for further replies.

barath_87

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How or why does an interconnect in a high speed design behave like a distributed network with resistance,inductance and capacitance instead of a lumped one ...
thank you in advance..

can anyone reply to the above question??

In principle any electric circuit with non-zero dimensions has "distributed" properties respectively has to be analyzed as transmission line. It depends on the ratio of dimension to wavelength of signal frequency, if distributed properties have noticeable effects.

In case of the transnational overhead tranmission lines, this property can't be ignored even at 50 Hz.

yep everything is a transmission line and at high frequencies the effects show up more. I would either look at some e-field or better yet RF circuits books.

I do have a question about this topic, how does one in the field today work on this problem? For example, intel's FSB. Do they make matching networks for the given frequency to give an acceptable low enough reflection that it does not cause a problems to the signal?

Hi,

When you see the equivalent circuit diagram of any given circuit, for the high speed applications, the effect of R,C and L is very severe when compared to low frequency of operation.

If you need more details, contact me.

Regards,

N.Muralidhara
CRL-BEL

Use Hyperlinx from mentor to simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back