Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Integrated Dual functional Digital Cathode Ray Oscilloscope and Digital Multimeter Product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prashantakerkar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it feasible to design & construct a Dual functional integrated Digital Cathode Ray Oscilloscope and Digital Multimeter products in a single product?

Idea is to integrate the Digital Multimeter features in the Digital Cathode Ray Oscilloscope Device.

i.e. Re-engineering the Digital CRO product to add the Digital Multimeter features and Functions.

The CRO should work with both Primary mains AC supply and DC Batteries. A mode (CRO + Multimeter) button to toggle the waveforms display on the CRO display panel and the electronic components reading on the CRO display panel.

If No, What are the Technical limitations to achieve this?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Attachments

• images - 2021-08-20T074251.380.jpeg
    images - 2021-08-20T074251.380.jpeg
    9.1 KB · Views: 238
  • images - 2021-08-20T075538.962.jpeg
    images - 2021-08-20T075538.962.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:

Hi,

Digital scope as well as digital multimeter use ADCs.
The scope's ADC hast to be fast, but does not need high resolution and not high accuracy.
A DVM's ADC may be slow, but should have fairly high resolution and high accuracy.

If you combine both in a single ADC it's getting expensive.

Many digital scopes already have built in DVM features (average voltage, RMS voltage...) but not with the quality of a good DVM.

Klaus

Thanks.

If the cost is not a issue, there are no technological barriers or hurdles to accomplish this by manufacturing product?

Two queries regarding the design.

1 Do you feel separate input connector points for the digital multimeter probes will be required or the current connectors on the CRO product can work in the dual integrated product?

2 A separate display glass panel for displaying the values of electronic components on the product instead of using the current display panel of the CRO device?

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

It seems like you don't know the market. Portable oscilloscopes for the electrical engineer like Fluke 120B series offer exactly what you are proposing. https://www.fluke.com/en-gb/product/electrical-testing/portable-oscilloscopes/120b

There are probably much more products, also from Far East vendors.

1629441197309.png

No recent ocscilloscope is using cathode ray display, by the way. Respectively we are talking of DSO rather than CRO.

I've had such 'scopes (back when you could have any color LEDs you wanted, as long a they were red). Old HP I think.

No reason it couldn't be done today. But I tend not to prefer "bundled" functions and I have a lot of meters in play most times I'm on the bench.

Modern scopes, have 3+digit DVMs, signal generators, spectrum capability
as well as distortion analysis capabilities, chart recorder, statistical analysis,
also digital filters for filtering sample data......

Rigol, Tektronix, Agilent, Siglent, LeCroy to name a few.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back