Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

instrument logging protocol for data commands and transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvnktion

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like some opinions on what would be the best protocol that that is recommended for intrument control by means of a serial port and a microcontroller.

It looks like GPIB is available for most instruments, but not through serial. It seems like a good idea to implement the commands names and syntax that the protocol uses, but it would not be real GPIB implementation.

It looks like Modbus may be another approach, though I am not sure if there is a standard commnand set with header footer data to implement.

Anyway, it seems like there would be a standard that is most popular in the sytanx and format of sending and receiving commands??

In the current situation I have 8 sensors with 2 channels of data each that need to be received on a computer or another device from serial data...... for instance now i am sending the data in the form:
M1A:CH01:Data

Is there a standard protocol to use for sending and formatting this information? What have you guys used or think would work best?

Status
Not open for further replies.