Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Installing IC5141 on Linux OSes (SL4.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n-david

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IC5141 and SL4.5

Hi all,

I started a new topic with the relevant title after getting advise from fellow Cadence users here,

Thanks for all your replies. edacw1 is right, I should have payed more attention to the installation instructions before I proceeded. IC5141 is not supported on the latest Linux OSes. The baseline is something like RHEL3/4. I managed to install it properly on SL4.5.

All in all, it took me about 1 week to find that out. Being a Linux newbie I would like to warn all others who like me took the long way to learn about this crazy software dependencies for Linux OS.

This experience just make me realize that Linux users are highly specialized people who spend a whole lot of time customizing, debugging etc. I don't want to start a flame but, this experience kind of made me realize how easy things are on the XP. I almost take it for granted that the OS is invisible to me. Linux is a whole new ball game.

Re: IC5141 and SL4.5 (Intel driver problem)

OK, I kind of solved this problem. Now I have another problem that is related to this solution.

My current system is a Dell Optiplex 755 with Dell E207WFP wide screen display. With SL4.5 and X Windows based Xorg6.8.2, I cannot get the display to go up to the native resolution of 1680x1050. It always default to the generic Vesa drivers.

Initially, when I installed FC8 onto this system, the newer Intel driver in that distribution was able to detect the correct resolution.

Now, in order to run IC5141, I am stuck at a lower resolution that I would want. I have tried 915resolution etc, but do not know a way to solve my problem. Does anybody here have a solution?

IC5141 and SL4.5

this mean that cadnce is runing on FC8

coz i am also very weak in linux and i want to try to install cadence under FC8

khouly

Re: IC5141 and SL4.5

khouly, my experience with installing cadence tells me that for serious work, you should only try it on supported OSes. Which means even if you have successfully installed cadence on FC8, there might be bugs that you will have to live with.
In any case, I am sure there are people out there, including myself who would like to know if it is at all possible.

Re: IC5141 and SL4.5

n-david said:
Thanks for all your replies. edacw1 is right, I should have payed more attention to the installation instructions before I proceeded. IC5141 is not supported on the latest Linux OSes. The baseline is something like RHEL3/4. I managed to install it properly on SL4.5.

It uses RHEL 2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.