Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

installation of ubuntu - guidance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

QMA

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
installation of ubuntu

dear all
i have downloaded ubuntu from ubuntu site and have received a file with the name 'ubuntu-8.04.2-desktop-i386.iso'. its size is 697MB. i have burnt it on a recordable cd. i want to install it. at this step plz guide me how can i install it. simple double clicking is not working as it asks me to provide the name of application to run the file. so please guide me what is the type of this file and how can i install it. shall i install it from cd rom just after bios setup (like windows). Or what shall i have to do.

Re: installation of ubuntu

Boot from the ubuntu CDROM, it gives you some choices. Due it's a LiveCD you can try Ubuntu from the CD without installing it, or install it if you want.

Please be carefull when making the partitions because you can loose all your hard drive information.

Check: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD/FAQ?action=show&redirect=LiveCdFaq to LiveCD info.
Check: **broken link removed** for installation info. (You have to select the PC type you have).

Regards.

QMA

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

You have to burn it as an image and not as a file! then, you must reboot and you can try it before install.
Note you can install it with winzoz installing grub...and it's done automatically. Please be only sure an the name of you hard disks because they have a different naming than winzoz. If you confuse it you may destry all data on it!

Lollo

A little detail: before try install the new OS, make a backup of your old files and before burn CDROM or DVD with the new OS, assure that the image is good using one checksum method like md5.

Status
Not open for further replies.