Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

inserting values to VHDL code by keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheikh

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Dears
Is it possible to insert the value from keyboard to VHDL code? ( as like as C++ and etc.) In fact I want to update some values in specific steps by an interface ( such as a control table) without manipulating the original VHDL code.
Regards
Mostafa

Hello Dear FvM
In Fact I want to find a way to update some constant ( according to specific situations) in my VHDL code. On of these constant is a Threshold ( equal to 0.5) but maybe I need to change it ( like an adaptive one). But I don't want to open the original code and change it. I want to do it by keyboard inputs, for instance insert 0.6 instead of 0.5 for the threshold. Is there any solution?
Thanks

Also, it is not a simulation code.

The problem is still unclear. Is it about simulation, recompiling a hardware design with different parameters, changing parameters at runtime? Wher do you connect the "keyboard"?

For the second case, you can e.g. read-in parameter files by the design compiler.

Reactions: sheikh

sheikh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks a lot
What is your suggestion about "changing parameters at run time"

The parameters would be stored either in RAM or an EEPROM. There must be interface to send the data to the FPGA, can be RS232, parallel port, JTAG or other and some logic to decode the input. Altera has e.g. a in-system-memory-content-editor to modify FPGA internal block RAM through JTAG and a tool in development software.

Thanks Dear FvM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back