Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inrush current limiting module for SMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

i am making an offline SMPS.

When i switch on there will be inrush current so i want to limit it. -but not using an NTC as it has no protection when SMPS is repeatedly power cycled.

However, the limiting circuitry will otherwise be a lot of components.....relay, relay driver, resistor, power supply for relay etc
...or if i use a high side mosfet to switch the inrush resistor out then that will need a regulated isolated voltage of its own....many components.

are there any inrush modules that can just be bought off the shelf?

i have looked widely but found nothing.

thenks in advance

smps inrush current

If you use a high side p-channel mosfet, you can use a zener/cap/resistor to ground to have soft start without extra voltages > Vinput. The R/C to perform the actual soft start, the zener to limit the gate-source voltage to whatever the FET requires.
The only disadvantage would be a slightly larger Rdson, but I don't know the power of your application and if that would be a problem.

inrush current smps

thankyou....actually i need the switch to be in front of the emc filter....since i wish to also stop inrush into that....so it will be in the ac line.

im amazed there appear to be no offtheshelf modules

Looking at the following

**broken link removed**

this is typical of all manufacturers......40 Amps of inrush for a 150w Converter.

40 Amps.....put them all on together and down goes the national grid!

does any reader know of offtheshelf inrush limiters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back