Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inquiry about implementing a Hardware Ray Tracer on an FPGA as a Graduation project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawal.1997

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I am interested in the field of computer graphics acceleration and I was hoping that I use my graduation project as an opportunity to get more in depth knowledge of the field. I stumbled upon different Hardware projects regarding the field like Generic Hardware Graphics Engine and Hardware Ray Tracer. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who worked on a Hardware Ray Tracer before and I was wondering about the complexity of the project. I will have 2 semester to study the theoretical aspects and then implement the design. Do you think it is a doable project (it is an individual not team project)?

The task:
* Hold a 3 dimensional environment in computer memory.
* Paint a 2 dimensional representation of it onscreen as seen from your camera point of view.

Your algorithm:

1) sends out beams (in a mathematical sense) from your camera to all pixels of your screen.
2) For each beam determine what object it hits, as well as size and shape of visible surfaces.
3) Each object is a certain color. It receives a certain amount of illumination from a light source.
4) Thus for each pixel you have a return beam coming back to your camera, with a certain color, shade, brightness.
5) Draw all pixels onscreen.

If you want to do it yourself, start with the basics and build from there.
Learn the geometry of displaying x-y-z (3 dimensional) coordinates on an xy (2 dimensional) grid.
Learn how hidden surface removal is programmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back