Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Input Current of CMOS Opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherryic

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The attachment is the datasheet of Intersil ICL7611, which is a 1.4 MHz low power CMOS Opamp, but what confuses me is that it is said it has an ultra low input current. As far as I know, the gate current of MOSFET is zero, so where does this kind of input current come from?

Regards,
Cherryic

biasing required it. for keeping proper working condition.

manish12 said:
biasing required it. for keeping proper working condition.
Would you please provide me some more details about this issue?

sometimes the ESD structure will have some leakage current under certain condition.

we suppose that current of MOST at gate terminal is zero. but in fact, for sub-micron processes because of low thickness of gate oxide, there is a very little current at this terminal, particularly in high frequencies. for more information you can refer to device level books about MOS.
I think the best is Tsividis's book about modeling of the MOS transistors.

Regards,
SAZ

Low input current means current consumption your OPAMP sink from Powe supply. right?
we don't think about high or low frequency. The input to Gate of mosfet equal zero.

Any other suggestions? Where does this input current come from? I am still confused.

Regards,
Cherryic

cherryic said:
Any other suggestions? Where does this input current come from? I am still confused.

Regards,
Cherryic

yes, it is to descrbe leakage current. See from other view, it is to describe the input impedence.

For ideal opa, we hope the input impedence is very very large.The less bias current means the larger input impedence, that's we expected for opa.

From the datasheet, you maybe noticed it has given the input impedence~1e12 ohm. Put 1V bias voltage, you get easily the input bias current ~1pA, just as in the spec.

cherryic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
chang830 said:
cherryic said:

Regards,
Cherryic

yes, it is to descrbe leakage current. See from other view, it is to describe the input impedence.

For ideal opa, we hope the input impedence is very very large.The less bias current means the larger input impedence, that's we expected for opa.

From the datasheet, you maybe noticed it has given the input impedence~1e12 ohm. Put 1V bias voltage, you get easily the input bias current ~1pA, just as in the spec.
Your reply really helps a lot!!! I've got it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back