Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

input capacitance of LM318

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amr Wael

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello ,
I wonder if there is a method to determine the input capacitance of an opamp whose value isn't mentioned in the data sheet. Could i simply use an LCR meter to measure the value of the capacitance ? Second question for the Oscillscopes I know that their input capacitance which is usually 16 pF is taken into consideration when designing the oscilloscope probes in order to avoid signal attenuation while increasing the frequency. Do I need to take the input capacitance of opAmp also in consideration (through adding capacitive dividers for example) if I am going to attenuate high voltage signals before it using resistive divider ? or is the resistive divider enough in case I am using voltage follower stages first between the voltage divider and between the Difference amplifier?

Hi,

What capacitance are you talking about?

There are two inputs. Each of them may and will have a capacitance against:
* the other input
* the output
* positive supply
* negative supply

Klaus

@KlausST I am actually talking about the capacitance that has a configuration same as the oscilloscope's input capacitance (Parallel to the input votlage) between an input and ground for example if exists?
--- Updated ---

CIN is what i am talking about

Attachments

• 5086fig01.gif
    5086fig01.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Hi,

A usual Opamp has no GND pin, thus there can be no capacitance to GND. The given picture is not valid for a typical Opamp.

The given picture rather shows a draft of a "Opamp_circuit". Where the capacitance is caused by connectors, wiring, traces .... (not Opamp internally)

In detail there may be some opamp internal capacitance that acts like the shown Cin. But the "active capacitance" depends on the external circuitry.
Example:
with an inverting Opamp, the voltage at -In, +In, +VSupp, -VSupp are constant. With constant voltage any capacitance has no effect, no capacitance current...

Klaus

Actual layout on PCB may govern C measured.

Regards, Dana.

@KlausST So let's say I would like to do voltage division followed by an opamp in a voltage follower configuration , in this case I can only use resistive divider without the need of Capacitive dividers because as long as I am within the opamp's bandwidth/slew rate , there is no input capacitance I should worry about?

Hi,

As said: it depends on circuit and PCB layout.
A voltage follower will have some "active" stray capacitance. Maybe in the range 5...20pF.
So how much this influences your signal depends on source impedance

For details: post the schematic (with all part values and part names) and the PCB layout.

Don't use wire wound resistors.

Klaus

You can also do a s plane analysis of the LM318 to examine if Zin( f ) and Zout ( f ).
its an interesting analysis as you will see Zout starts looking inductive. And you also
can see the virtual ground at input starts degrading. Doing the LM318 a tad comp-
licated as its two pole Aol response, and with stray C you quickly wind up with 4 pole
system (Cload adds a 4'th pole). But using PFE you can quickly get at the lumped
equivalent Zin and Zout.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
any input capacitance is determined by the Vbe & Vbc capacitance of the xtors in the op-amp - there may be a few in series - cap to gnd may only be of import if one of the op-amp input pins is connected to gnd - else the input cap will mainly consist of strays - e.g. 1 - 2 pF as suggested above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back